Today’s best laid plans were crushed when the Fox announced he had a stomach ache during lunch. After a bit of back and forth, I decided he wasn’t faking and shouldn’t go to the Jardin Acclimatation. Nothing like rides and lots of walking to make a sick boy sicker.
I’m trying to hide my disappointment – we only have a few days left in Paris and I really don’t want to waste any of it sitting around the apartment. But what can I do? A sick kid is a sick kid.
I did, however, get out this morning for a short run. As I ran, I kept making lists of the things I’ll miss about Paris:
1. Men that enjoy dressing nicely and make even causal look good.
2. Le Metro
3. A neighborhood that is truly walkable
4. The sound of church bells. Especially, the 10:45am Sunday morning bells.
5. Afternoon champagne
7. Being able to dress the way I like to and not have people think I’m overdressed.
8. How clean it is (San Francisco, please, please, please do something about the dirty streets. Cleaning twice a month is gross).
When that made me depressed, I switched to things I’ll not miss about Paris:
1. Being tempted by the sweet, yeasty, mouth-watering patisseries
2. Sunday brunch not starting until 12pm
3. Sidewalk right-of-way wars
4. The scooters
5. My neighbors who like to have parties at 3am on Monday nights.
Below are a few pictures of my neighborhood from my run this morning. I love how quiet the Marais is pre-11am.
Because I’m feeling a little morose, I wanted to wear something cheerful. Until recently, I never wore pink, but I’m liking it a lot. Maybe I’m embracing my “girly” side more (although Bug informs me, I’ve always been very feminine, just not pink-girly). I also had my hair colored yesterday and had Liam, he of the mesmerizing chest hair, darken the roots so that the contrast with the ends is more pronounced. Because my hair is naturally strawberry blond, Liam decided to make it extra dark because my color tends to fade fast. It freaked me out a little when I woke up this morning to see such dark hair (it was pulled back, so I couldn’t see the blond ends), but I really like it.
The Pink Outfit:
Skirt: Chambray from Jcrew (Summer 2011, I think)
Cardigan: Ann Taylor Loft (spring 2012)
Stockings: Wolford Perfectly 30 in anthracite These are a sheer, dark gray with a bit of shimmer and feel amazing on.
Shoes: Minelli Leopard print ballerinas.